Saturday 23 July 2016

Satnav by Pam Ayres

This little poem has been sent to me from a friend un the U.K. It is by the lovely Pam Ayres. Last year my family and I went to France and had a wonderful time. However on landing from the ferry the Satnav failed. Took us 2 hours to get out of Cherbourg. We bought a new one. However this satnav proved it was no better. On driving from Paris to Cherbourg to go home we set the satnav to avoid toll roads. We had six hours to make what is normally a 2-3 hour drive. It led us through the countryside and we saw some beautiful villages. All the time it was counting down the kilometres. It was coming up to 40 kms from Cherbourg and instead of seaside houses we were in the middle of areas and acres of ploughed fields with not a living creature in sight. Not even a rabbit. Realizing we had a problem we switched off the satnav and continued to drive. About 20 minutes later we came across a road sign. Tours 23 and Angers 24 . We were 350kms from Cherbourg! And there was no denying we were going to miss the ferry home. Anyway it soured our opinion of the reliability of them.


Satnav – A new poem by Pam Ayres

I have a little Satnav, it sits there in my car. 
A Satnav is a driver's friend it tells you where you are. I have a little Satnav, i've had it all my life. It's better than the normal ones, my Satnav is my wife.
It gives me full instructions, especially how to drive "It's sixty miles an hour", it says, "You're doing sixty five". It tells me when to stop and start, and when to use the brake And tells me that it's never ever, safe to overtake.
It tells me when a light is red, and when it goes to green It seems to know instinctively, just when to intervene. It lists the vehicles just in front, and all those to the rear. And taking this into account, it specifies my gear.
I'm sure no other driver, has so helpful a device. For when we leave and lock the car, it still gives its advice. It fills me up with counselling, each journey's pretty fraught. So why don't I exchange it, and get a quieter sort?
Ah well, you see, it cleans the house, makes sure I'm properly fed. It washes all my shirts and things, and keeps me warm in bed!
Despite all these advantages, and my tendency to scoff, I only wish that now and then, I could turn the bugger off.

No comments:

Post a Comment