Friday 29 July 2016

Shadows of the Mind by Patricia Wood

The Party was over
I was alone in the dark empty street.
No lights were on,
No cars drove past,
No lights were on in the houses.
Just me, alone, in the eerie stillness of the night.
Each step I took was echoed instantaneously,
As i someone was behind me.
I stopped dead, then looked behind.
There was no one there.
I was suddenly aware that a thick darkness had surrounded me.
There was no way out!
I turned and started walking, only at a faster pace.
Those echoing footsteps lingered on.
I felt eyes watching every step I took.
I looked frantically to see what was there.
Suddenly I realised my footsteps were accompanied by some shuffling.
I looked and saw the ghostly figure of a man loom up.
Terrified I turned and ran,
For fear of what lurked in those shadows had taken over me.
But how was I to know that these were only
Shadows of the mind?
©️Patricia Wood 1978 in the book Modern Poets

No comments:

Post a Comment