Wednesday 8 June 2016

Merlin's Keep Part 4

A son. A fine healthy son. The kingdom was saved from all the nonsense of recent times. Saved! He arrived at the door to his wife and baby and stopped. He was stricken with another thought. Why now? Why do strange doubts ever arise at these truly happy times? He sensed the cool air of change about his neck, and he felt uneasy. All that was awaiting for him in this room was a reality once his had entered. It was no longer an idea but a symbol of hope. Hope for who? He was too happy to think of it all. His head would burst if he waited another moment. He bounced happily into the room.  He fixed his beloved with a demanding stare. “Where is he?”
      Marina was resting on a cloud of pillows with the baby in her arms surrounded by another cloud of cotton sheets and blankets. She smiled. “He is here,. Come see,” she offered him the tiny bundle wrapped in fine blankets.
      McMervin took the child in his muscular arms. His being shone with pride. “He is beautiful,” he said and turned to Marina. “As are you, my love,” He bent forward and kissed her lightly on the forehead.
     She was taken aback. This time she gave him the very thing he wanted. A son. She had schemed, plotted, make pacts with demons and was about the endure the ultimate sacrifice. Yet he failed to notice. His eyes focussed only on the child. Up to that moment she had been content for him to not know. 
      However the cloaked figure standing in the corner of the room with a scythe in his hand was not to be ignored.
      She looked at him and found herself suddenly uncertain. Other thoughts than the stranger filled her mind. Had this new son so soon usurped her from McMervin’s affetctions? Was she to be cast aside like a worn glove? The joy she felt at her son’s birth suddenly fell flat. She had wanted this moment to be perfect. And McMervin had failed to deliver. The frown that cast a shadow across her happiness took little from her beauty. She lay resplendent, radiant beyond beauty, with an aura fairer than angels wings, eyes as blue as cornflowers, skin as smooth as milk with rosebud lips. “You will cherish him, won’t you, McMervin?” She could not explain why she asked the question. There was no need. She knew the prophecy as any other. “You must care and love him,”
      “I am more proud than any man in my kingdom. You have given me a son after two daughters. At last a male heir to my throne. You have saved the kingdom, Marina. I shall cherish him. He shall be the best of all kings, surpassing all others in his wisdom and justness.” McMervin said, his eyes fixed on the child.
       “Then, my lord, it is time.” 
       McMervin turned. Before him stood a gowned figure, almost totally draped in blackness bar for the white boney hands and the glint of peg like teeth beneath the hood. A rope tied his gown and these boney hands were clasped in front of him.
      “Not yet,” Marina said. “Please a little longer,”
     “I thought you were ready,“ The stranger said.
      “Who is this?” McMervin asked glancing at the figure.
      “It is no one of importance,sire. Someone who brings us good tidings on the birth of our son,”she said quickly.
     “A tad too impertinent for my liking,” McMervin said his eyes not “Yet indeed I shall accept his good tidings on this most joyous of occasions,”
       Marina’s pale face brightened briefly and changed to the greyest grey on realizing the stranger with them remained.
      “Be gone, my good fellow. This is family business,” McMervin said, taking his eyes from his son’s face for the shortest of minutes and then returning his gaze to the child. “Do I need the guards?
      The stranger was oddly unmoved by the royal command. 
      “One thing. Tell me, stranger,” she pleaded. “How does he see you? It is said only those you call for can see you,
      “From this moment on his time is counted.”
     “There’s no need. I have delivered the child and he clearly loves him. The Prophecy is forfeit.”
     “None of us have access to the future. Today I am here for you, my lady. I can call for him at any time,”
     “Please. A short time longer,” Marina begged. “My son, please let me hold my son once more,”
      The hood that covered most of his head turned side to side. “The sands are drained.” He said. “I can gift you no more,”
      He moved forward and Marina fell back onto the pillows.
      McMervin’s absorption in the baby consumed him. The maids in waiting in their black dresses curtsied and bowed before them, unsure who should speak the dreaded words. 
      Grizelda stepped forward. “Father?” she said, her voice breaking. “Mother?”
      “What shall we name him?” McMervin said. The reply did not come. “My love, his name?” He turned. McMervin’s wails echoed through the castle, the broken sobs of a man who hhad everything and now had less than nothing. “Take him,” he wailed, handing the baby to the Grizelda. “Leave me with my wife,” He threw himself on the stricken body of his dead wife.
      “Father, the registrar demands a name,” she said tremulously.
      “Not at this time,” McMervin sobbed.
      “He insists,” she pressed.
      McMervin turned, his swollen eyes moist and tear streaked face fell upon her. “I have not the heart to name him. You choose.”
      Grizelda said. “Sire. Please. I would not presume. A name of your choosing. Please choose.”
     “What are you doing?” hissed Isadora.
      “Leave me!” he roared. “Leave!”
      He ushered them forcibly from the room slamming the door. 

     Grizelda cradled the child. “We have a brother, sister,” she said with a smile. Her voice was low and filled with excitement.
     “He is beautiful,” Isadora returned the smile. “You heard his majesty, our father. Name him, Grizelda.”
    “I couldn’t.” Grizelda said. 
    “You must. The prophecy requires it,”
    “I know what must be done, sister. But now this time is here I have my doubts. This name changes everything. I fear I have not the courage,”
     “Do not waste this chance, Grizelda. Only you can name him. It is written.”
     “So helpless. So tiny. I fear for the child if we do this,” Grizelda said. “You know the king will reject him.”
    There was a silence before she replied. “Poor mother.” said Isadora, her eyes glistening. She pulled from her cardigan a speckled handkerchief and dabbed her eyes. she added harshly. “Do not let her die in vain. Do it,” Isadora urged. “Do it and change the world,”
    Grizelda cradled the baby. She snivelled a drip from her nose. “Tell the registrar the name of Merlin is to return to the keep.”   
 Merlin's Keep and allies Parts©️Lorraine Poulter 2016         
      
     
      

      

No comments:

Post a Comment